Funchal Climate & Temperature
- Funchal, Madeira is at 32°38'N, 16°53'W, 56 m (184 ft). See map.
- Funchal has a hot mediterranean/ dry-summer subtropical climate (Köppen-Geiger classification: Csa) that is mild with moderate seasonality. Summers are dry and hot due to the domination of subtropical high pressure systems while winters experience moderate temperatures and changeable, rainy weather due to the polar front. These climates usually occur on the western sides of continents between the latitudes of 30° and 45°. Vegetation is adapted to the dry summers and is fragrant and oily making it susceptable to fire. The typical Mediterranean climate average monthly temperatures in excess of 22.0 °C (71.6 °F) in its warmest month and an average in the coldest month between 18 to -3 °C (64 to 27 °F) with at least four months above 10 °C (50 °F). Seasonality is moderate (Köppen-Geiger classification: Csa).
- The annual mean temperature is 18.7 degrees Celsius (65.7 degrees Fahrenheit). See the temperatures page for a monthly breakdown and the fixed scale graph.
- Average monthly temperatures vary by 6.4 °C (11.5°F). This indicates that the continentality type is hyperoceanic, subtype truly hyperoceanic.
- In the winter time records indicate temperatures by day reach 19.4°C (66.9°F) on average falling to 13.3°C (55.9°F) overnight.
- In spring time temperatures climb reaching 20°C (68°F) generally in the afternoon with overnight lows of 13.7°C (56.6°F).
- During summer average high temperatures are 24.1°C (75.3°F) and average low temperatures are 17.8°C (64°F).
- Come autumn/ fall temperatures decrease achieving average highs of 24°C (75.1°F) during the day and lows of 17.4°C (63.3°F) generally shortly after sunrise.
- Total annual Precipitation averages 642 mm (25.3 inches) which is equivalent to 642 Litres/m² (15.75 Gallons/ft²).
- On average there are 2438 hours of sunshine per year. Visit the sunshine and daylight section to check monthly details including how high in the sky the sun reaches each month.
- If you were to burrow down through the Earth from Funchal you would come out nearest to the climate station at Lord Howe Island, Australia where you would find a Humid subtropical climate.
Rio de Janeiro,
Climate of Funchal, Madeira Discussion
Post your insights, comments, questions, answers, feedback, error reports, related link suggestions etc. using the easy form below:
Navigate to Surrounding Climate Guides:
- Sagres, Algarve, Portugal - 872.7 kms (542.3 miles) NE
- Casablanca, Morocco - 866 kms (538.2 miles) E
- Safi, Morocco - 720.2 kms (447.5 miles) E
- Marrakech, Morocco - 842.3 kms (523.4 miles) E
- Essaouira, Morocco - 681.8 kms (423.7 miles) E
- Agadir, Morocco - 738.6 kms (459 miles) ESE
- Sidi Ifni, Morocco - 735.8 kms (457.2 miles) ESE
- Lanzarote, Spain (Canary Islands - 516.6 kms (321 miles) SE
- Santa Cruz, Tenerife, Canary Islands - 468.8 kms (291.3 miles) S
- Tarfaya, Morocco - 642.8 kms (399.4 miles) SE
- Las Palmas De Gran Canaria, Canary Islands - 543.5 kms (337.7 miles) SSE
- Smara, Western Sahara - 833.9 kms (518.2 miles) SE